By: Luis Chacon
Province Coordinator for Volunteers
On Sunday, March 6, we have carried out our monthly Homeless Outreach, but this time it was a little different, since we have had the presence of almost 30 volunteers to give food, toiletries, some clothes and time to our brothers and sisters less fortunate ones on skid row.
This experience was impressive because we have had the representation of the following Salesian presences:
- A young adult group from Saint Dominic Savio Parish directed by Jorge Galvis.
- Leaders of the Salesian Oratory of Saint Dominic Savio Parish directed by JC Montenegro.
- Members of the Missionary Animation Team of our Province.
- Salesian High School Bishop Mora students.
- The Coordinators of the Youth Ministry of the Province (Gina, Marisol and Fr. Fabian).
- Members of Saint Joseph Salesian Retreat House.
- The CYMs of some of the Salesian Presences of the Province (Salesian College Preparatory in Richmond, St Francis High School in Watsonville, St John Bosco High School in Bellflower, Salesian Family Youth Center and St Mary’s Parish and Salesian High School Bishop Mora in Los Angeles).
We also had other Salesian houses that have been present with donations and prayer: the Salesian Cooperators of Saint Dominic Savio, the parishioners of Saint Joseph Salesian Retreat House (directed by Fr. Paul, SDB) and as a special mention, the students of the Saint Elisabeth Elementary School. These last ones have given me an economic donation that, on their initiative, they have gathered during the Thanksgiving mass in November. It was a wonderful experience to see the youngest children of the school enter Mass excited with their dollar to help feed the homeless on Skid Row.
We also have entities that support us month after month: the Restless Heart Foundation with the preparation of the food and the Catch 21 Restaurant where our friend Kevin is, who always welcomes us on Skid Row, guides us and motivates us with his words and examples to continue serving the community.
This is one of the various Salesian Missionary Volunteer activities that this Province offers to make a difference in the world… Would you like to be a Salesian Missionary Volunteer? Go to our instagram @salesianvolunteers or email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com for more information!