Abstract by: Sheila Kun RN, BSN, BA, MS
We started learning healthy lifestyle suggestions following simple goals and plans 2 weeks at a time. This week, we will map out the strategies for week 3 and 4. Let us get started:
Week 3: Get Walking
Start walking, even if you are only able to manage a few minutes at a time. Aim to walk most days of the week, and make sure that you have comfortable walking shoes or sneakers.
Your Goals for Week 3
- Walk for as long as you are comfortably able to
- Keep a written record of when and how long you are walking
- Wear a pedometer so you can track how many steps you take, and use that number as a motivator to help you increase it each day
Week 4: Switch to Whole Grains
Begin to switch out the white flour and white grain products in your kitchen for whole-grain foods. Whole grains provide more fiber and nutrition and have less impact on your blood glucose. Look for products that list whole-grain flour rather than enriched flour as one of the first ingredients.
Your Goals for Week 4
- Add whole-grain pasta or brown rice to a favorite dish or in combination with vegetables or beans
- Purchase a new whole-grain food that you haven’t used (e.g., quinoa, kasha, or bulgur) before and try it as a replacement for rice, pasta, or potatoes
Let us review the 2 key topics from week 1&2: check your portions and eat more vegetables and fruit each day.
Above is abstracted from “The everything guide to the insulin resistance diet” by Marie Feldman, RD, CDCES, and Jodi Dalyai, MS, RD, CDCES
Your homework from the Care Ministry this week: adopt whole grain into your meal plan.
Love to hear from you: firstname.lastname@example.org